Community Spotlight September 2, 2009
Community Spotlight Host Bob Williams interviews Angela Renick, an organizer for a walk-a-thon event aimed at helping people diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, also known as ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease.
Courage Walk 2009 is a family-friendly walking event that is sponsored by a foundation known as Dwight's Fight. The foundation was created by a Gainesville resident named Dwight Johnson, after he was diagnosed with ALS back in March 2008.
"He and his family, they want to encourage that feeling of hope in everyone's life," Renick says.
Courage Walk caters particularly to the Gainesville area, and proceeds will go to providing ALS patients with equipment and support. While there is no fee to participate, people are encouraged to raise money for donations.
Runners, walkers and even friendly pets are invited to participate in this event.
Courage Walk 2009 will take place on Saturday, Sept. 12 at 9 a.m. at the Haile Plantation Village Center.
For more information, please visit the Dwight's Fight website at www.dwightsfight.org.
- Community Spotlight September 9, 2009
- Community Spotlight September 16, 2009
- Community Spotlight September 23, 2009
- Community Spotlight September 30, 2009
- Community Spotlight 5-6-2009
- Community Spotlight 5-13-2009
- Community Spotlight July 8, 2009
- Community Spotlight August 26, 2009
- Community Spotlight October 7, 2009
- Community Spotlight October 14, 2009