Family Spotlight 10/14/10 "Helping The Mentally ill"
Mental illness may have contributed to the shooting spree in Gainesville on October 4th. Family and friends apparently tried to help Clifford Miller, Jr.-- but it clearly wasn't enough.
There may be more effective ways to step in and help people who need it.
In the Family Spotlight, Brian Cooke, M.D., an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at UF, tells TV 20's David Snyder the warning signs of mental illness...and what family members can do about it.
Where to turn for help:
National Alliance on Mental Illness
UF College of Medicine Department of Psychiatry
- Family Spotlight 4/22/10 "Foreclosure Mental Health"
- New Beds, New Initiatives to Help Mentally Ill Inmates
- Family Spotlight 2/17/11 "Marriage Help"
- Medical Spotlight 6/20/11 "Heat Illness"
- "Family Spotlight" 9/1/11 "Shelter From The Storm"
- Family Spotlight 10/20/11 "Gold Star Families Honored"
- Family Spotlight 8/18/11 "US Debt Crisis and Families"
- Family Spotlight 5/19/11 "A Recipe for Families"
- Family Spotlight 4/7/11 "Family Safety Night"
- Family Spotlight 3/17/11 "Family Arts Festival"