Ask a Vet: Preparing Your Pet for Fireworks
How do you know if your pet has a fireworks phobia?
Signs of anxiety can include:
Escape attempts tend to involve hiding behind furniture, and in closets, etc.
What should you do if your pet shows signs of fear?
- Keep your pets indoors as this diminishes the noise and lights and prevents them from bolting and possibly getting lost/injured/killed
- Staying in a crate that they are used to or in a “safe” room with a closed door is sufficient
- Synthetic pheromone sprays such as Feliway for cats and Adaptil (formerly called D.A.P.)
- Thundershirts may have a calming effect
- Play loud music or background noise
Make sure all your pets are wearing an ID tag or a microchip.
For more information call: Alachua County Animal Services @ 352-264-6870