Micanopy man wins Firefighter of the Year
Published April 13th, 2017
MICANOPY, Fla. -- Today a small town firefighter received a major award. Captain Michael Lawrence of Micanopy was presented the Firefighter of the Year Award in recognition of 23 years of service. He was told he was going to be attending a special training, but instead was surprised to walk into a room packed full of family and friends.
First his anxious parents arrived, looking out the window waiting for their son. Then fellow firefighters filed in to join, and finally the man of the hour - Captain Lawrence walked in with a look of shock when he realized out that out of 20 Florida counties, he had been chosen as Firefighter of the Year.
Captain Lawrence says that he was very surprised and grateful for the award and that he’s “been here a long time and it's a great community. [He is] proud to be here and [they] have done a lot of good things."
Captain Lawrence’s mother shared a wider perspective on a younger Michael and the transformation he's made. She says, "He was my one child that I always had to go to the principal’s office. He had a little girlfriend in kindergarten that he always liked to protect so we were in the principal’s office a lot but he has turned out to be a fine, fine young man and father."
- Micanopy Man Dies In Early Morning Crash
- Micanopy Celebrates Doc Hollywood Days
- Micanopy celebrates 4th of July with parade
- Bronson man celebrates 50-years of owning business
- 104-year-old Man Celebrates Birthday
- Homeless Man Arrested for Battery on a Firefighter
- Police: Maine Man Owed Murdered Florida Firefighter $3,000
- Micanopy Town Commissioners Reject New Sidewalk Project
- Bear Spotted in Micanopy
- Micanopy's 39th Fall Festival