Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. We own and operate leading media outlets in over 50 markets throughout the country – all delivering the news, weather, sports and entertainment that millions of our neighbors count on every day. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
WCJB TV20 is now -time News currently accepting applications for a full-time News Producer to join the #1-rated news team in North Central Florida.
We’re looking for a producer who wants to join a great news station with a chance to learn quickly through on-the-job training and hopefully move up within our operation.
You’ll be producing urgent, impactful shows, writing stories, editing, and taking an active role in producing social media and web content.
A Bachelor’s degree in a related field is helpful and not required.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Prioritize, organize, and produce newscasts
• Maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and local contacts
• Search wire services, network feeds, websites and others sources to find relevant material for newscasts
• Work with news management to determine which stories to air during evening newscast
• Coordinate story assignments with assignment manager
• Collaborate with news operations staff to build graphics
• Accurately edit video with an eye for visual elements that make stories understandable to the viewer
• Work with directors and anchors on presentation of stories
• Assist reporters on story development, story expectations, and accurately gathering information under pressure
• Write creative headlines and teases
• Research and brainstorm story ideas, present ideas in editorial meetings
• Generate promotable story ideas daily
• Post and update stories to station website and social media sites, engage viewers
• Communicate with the web staff during breaking news
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
• Write news stories
• Monitor competition’s shows and websites for missed leads
• Assist producers in formatting other newscasts
• Clear, concise, conversational writing skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrate solid news judgment
• Maintain strong journalistic ethics
• Strong initiative and attention to detail
• Be creative and create compelling and memorable newscasts
• Knowledge of newsroom software
• Knowledge of web posting software
• Strong research skills, including online research using various search engines
• Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather
• Intermediate-level knowledge of social media
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure
• Ability to work independently with little supervision
• Demonstrate leadership through training and mentoring less experienced staff members; guide others to get the desired outcome
• Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment; work well with co-workers
• Edit video and audio on industry standard equipment
• Build graphics and use effectively in shows
• Handle and adjust to last-minute changes
• Make quick, accurate decisions during the on-air process
***The position offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefit package, including group health & dental, paid time off, 401(k) and more.
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray Television’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please email resume, cover letter, and link to reel to:
Interim News Director
6220 NW 43rd Street
Gainesville, FL 32653
Or email email@example.com