At Munroe Regional Medical Center Dr. Overcash is one of only four on the east coast trained in a unique procedure that claims to result in weight loss.
The Stomaphyx procedure goes through the mouth and doesn't require any inscisions. Instead, the stomach is folded with small plastic sutures.
The entire process is watched on a monitor.
"Traditionally, we would do that with surgery to shrink the pouch. But, the problem with that is that 5% of them will leak and there's a 20% mortality rate," said Dr. Todd Overcash of Muroe Regional Medical Center.
The procedure costs around $10,000, which is about $15,000 less than a traditional gastric bypass surgery.
- UF Security Procedures Getting Another Look--Again
- Procedure or Interpretation?
- Too Much Salt for Most Americans
- New Study: Breast Cancer Patients Want More Involvement in Treatment
- Gender Gap in Diagnosis and Outcome of Heart Attacks
- Help for a Broken Heart?
- Are Antibiotics Necessary for Sinus Infections?
- Help for Dementia
- Heart Health Tip: Watch Your Cholesterol
- Your Health: Antibiotics