Yoga for Elementary School Kids
First graders are getting a lesson in meditation and relaxation by practicing yoga during p-e class.Â Â ---katie bashor sot---Â
"I think it empowers children to take control of their bodies," said Katie Bashor, a yoga instructor and teacher.Â Â
Down the hall, a fourth grade class is incorporating yoga in a lesson plan on Greek mythology.
"They get energized when you're supposed to be energized. It just gives them something different, a little tweak to their day so they're not just sitting at their desk," said Elisabeth Beckwith, a teacher.Â Â Â
The teachers were trained by Yogakids International to do simple poses and techniques that are fun for children.Â Â Â
Guidance counselor June Neal reports an improvement in test scores and test taking skills since the yoga program began two years ago.Â Â Â Â
"I think it helps them focus, I think it helps them concentrate and I think it helps with their stress," said Neal.Â Â Â
- Your Fitness: Yoga Poses
- Yoga poses for National Yoga Month.
- Your Health Report: Is Yoga Dangerous?
- Easy Yoga Poses
- Your Health: Basics of Yoga
- Your Health 9/28/15
- 8/20/12 Fitzness Minute: Purple Wiggle Workout
- Your Health: Prenatal Yoga
- School Year Resumes With Changes For Starke Elementary School
- East Marion Elementary Continues To Battle Illness Outbreak