Opportunity for Free Colonoscopies in March
Gainesville - Colon cancer affects men and women alike. Early detection is key to beating colon cancer. Screening colonoscopies make it possible to prevent colon cancer altogether.
As a gift to the community, the physicians of Digestive Disease Associates and North Florida Endoscopy Center are joining together for the third year in a row to give away free screening colonoscopies.
Thirty-one will be granted this year – one for each day during March, Colon Cancer Awareness Month. The project is designed to reach out to people who, without this gift, would have no chance for this potentially life-saving test.
“During the two previous years when we did this, we have been able to help people and deliver an important message about preventing colon cancer,” says Gastroenterologist Thomas R. Beers, MD. “We found one case of colon cancer and several growths in a number of other people that we removed so they could not become colon cancer. The simple fact is that colonoscopies save lives. We enjoy proving that is true.”
Those who are interested in the program and believe they may be eligible are encouraged to call the toll-free line of Consult-a-Nurse at 800-611-6913.
Nurses will speak with callers briefly and ask them a few brief pre-screening questions; if considered a candidate the caller would be transferred to program schedulers to confirm eligibility.
Participants will receive free materials needed to prepare for a colonoscopy, as well as direction. Their colonoscopy will also be scheduled at that time during the month of March.
- North Florida Offers Free Colonoscopy
- Free Day of Health Screenings for Service Dogs
- Medical Spotlight 3/14/11 "High Tech Colonoscopies"
- Florida Opportunity Scholars Program
- "Back to Work" ends, but the job opportunities continue...
- Equal Opportunity Issue
- Dairy Farming Opportunities Can Keep Local Residents Employed
- Gainesville Elementary School Makes a Learning Opportunity of the Presidential Election
- Social Security Going Paperless in March
- Ocala: Martin Luther King Day March Road Closures