Deadly Crash on US 301 in Hawthorne
HAWTHORNE, Fla. - It was a deadly scene in Hawthorne after a semi truck plowed into a pick-up truck.
Around seven on Sunday morning, a Walmart semi truck was traveling north on US 301 in Hawthorne near Southeast 57th Avenue.
The semi truck lost control and crossed over the median and swerved into a pick up truck traveling south on US 301.
Florida Highway Patrol responded to the scene and southbound traffic was diverted for several hours.
The driver of the pickup, 72-year-old Wiley Clark, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Witnesses say the damage was worse than anything they've ever seen, resident Cara Poe stating, "As I was coming up, I seen a Walmart truck and I'd seen the sign saying that the road was closed and they don't close 301 unless there's a fatality so we knew it had to be bad so when we came up on it, it was just horrible"
The driver of the semi-truck was taken to UF Health in Gainesville with non-life-threatening injuries.
The initial cause of the crash is still under investigation.
- Semi Truck Crash in Marion County Leaves Driver Seriously Injured
- Lake Weir student victim in deadly motorcycle accident
- Truck crash leaves driver dead and fuel spilled
- Deadly crash in Hawthorne
- Santa Fe Student Dies In Wreck On 301
- U.S. 301 in Hawthorne Closing for a Week
- 2 dead in Suwannee County crash
- Deadly Marion County Crash
- Fatal Crash in Hamilton County Leaves Two Dead
- Deadly Hit and Run Crash in Marion County Over the Weekend