Lake City Officer Cleared in Shooting
LAKE CITY, Fla. - A Lake City police officer has been cleared in a shooting that happened as part of DUI checkpoint for Saint Patrick's Day.
Officer Mike Lee was conducting vehicle checks, when he stopped a pickup truck.
The driver Jimmy Barker raised a handgun to Lee instead of his drivers license.
Lee was able to grab the gun while at the same time draw his own service weapon.
Barker then tried to turn the gun around and shoot Lee, who was instructing Barker to drop the gun.
During the struggle, Lee shot Barker once in the chest.
He died at the scene.
Barker's brother, who was a passenger in the truck, told officers that his brother had been to prison several times and was not going back.
He was wanted in Tennessee on several charges and was a registered sex offender.
A grand jury ruled no charges should be filed against Lee and he was cleared of any criminal action and is back on duty.
- Lake City Officer Fired
- Man Wanted in Lake City Shooting
- Several people injured in Lake City shooting
- Lake City Officer Shooting
- Lake City Police Officer Shoots, Kills Armed Driver at DUI Checkpoint
- Officers Cleared in Shooting
- Ocala officer cleared in fatal shooting of murder suspect
- Lake City man arrested in shooting, home invasion
- Search For Missing Lake City Skydiver Turns Into Recovery Operation
- Man Says Devil Made Him Assault Girl According to Lake City Police