Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
Zimmerman Cannot Have His Gun Back
SANFORD, FL - George Zimmerman won't be getting the gun he used to kill Trayvon Martin, but nothing is keeping him from purchasing another gun if he wants, Florida police said Friday.
Federal and local authorities said plans to return Zimmerman's 9 mm caliber pistol were put on hold after the Department of Justice announced a new investigation to determine whether Zimmerman violated the teenager's civil rights.
"The Department of Justice put a hold on all of the evidence in the case. The evidence will not be returned until such time as they release the hold," said Sanford Police spokesman James McAuliffe.
McAuliffe, however, told ABC News that there is nothing legally preventing Zimmerman, who was acquitted in Martin's murder on Saturday, from purchasing a new firearm.
Zimmerman was acquitted by a jury of six women who found he acted in self-defense when he shot the unarmed teenager in February 2012.
- Man Charged With Having Gun In Carry-On Bag
- Associate: Hernandez Put Guns in Box in Basement
- Zimmerman Trial: Judge Reads Charge to Jurors
- Zimmerman Trial: Jurors Asked About Presumption of Innocence
- Zimmerman Trial: Opening Statements Today
- Zimmerman Trial: Neighbor Testifies
- Zimmerman Trial: Judge Strikes Detective Statements
- Zimmerman Trial: Protesters Rally Against Verdict
- George Zimmerman's Wife Says He is 'Selfish'
- Zimmerman Trial: Trayvon's Friend Finishes Day 2 of Testimony