Gainesville Students Celebrate Chinese New Year
GAINESVILLE- The Chinese New Year has already begun and this weekend some students learned the proper way to pass the holiday. Students from Gainesville’s Chinese school performed traditional Chinese performances to celebrate the Lunar New Year at the Alachua County library on Sunday afternoon. School officials tell us this is the biggest holiday in china and they don't want their students to miss out on their culture. So they chose to celebrate aspects of the holiday they felt their students could relate to.
"We want to pass it to the generation after so that's the part we want to teach them and we just pick the fun part of our culture so they can appreciate it and they can learn from that fun part to celebrate it," said Heidi Wang who is a school principal.
This is the second time the Chinese school has held their festivities at the library.
- Gainesville Celebrates Bike Month With New Bike Lockers
- P.K Yonge Hosts Chinese Students
- Travelodge Gainesville Burns In New Year's Eve Fire
- New Year's Eve Brings Music, Money to Gainesville
- Gainesville Little One's Event Celebrates 35 Years of Giving
- Gainesville Gay Rights Activists Celebrate SCOTUS Decision on Steps of City Hall
- Oak Hall Welcomes Chinese School Officials
- Chinese Developers Take a Field Trip to Alachua County
- Local Children Learn Life Lessons Through Chinese Culture Classes
- Oak Hall School Welcomes Chinese Degation