Gainesville Firefighters are Trying to "Fill the Boot"
Gainesville firefighters are out in the community trying to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
"Our crews rotate through so everybody gets a chance to fill the boot and we kind of create a little competition between everybody and it's a really good time for everybody," said Sean Withers who is a Gainesville firefighter.
Withers said "Fill the Boot" started about 50 years ago in the city of Boston.
"There was a friend of a firefighter whose son came down with muscular dystrophy and they went on to start up an event to raise money for the family and it just grew from there," said Withers.
Last year Gainesville firefighters raised just under $10,000. This years goal is $11,000.
Elizabeth Hall is the executive director for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. She said it's a wonderful feeling to see these men and women supporting kids who have neuromuscular diseases.
"In these kids eyes they are their heroes. They are raising that money to not only better their life but to give them hope," said Hall.
All the money the local firefighters raise have been used to fund two clinics at Shands Hospital as wellas three researchers who are working on treatments and cures. "Fill the Boot" donations also give the association a chance to hold local events for the kids.
"I personally see the kids in the area got to the camps. We just had one a few months ago and it's an amazing feet for them because these kids don't get to get out and do a lot of things normal kids do," said Withers.
That's the reason local firefighters hope you can help "fill the boot."
As of Saturday night the Gainesville firefighters had collected almost$7,000 for the cause.
- "Fill the Boot" Faces the Boot
- Fill The Boot For Muscular Dystrophy
- Marion County Firefighters "Pass The Boot", looking to make a difference
- Local Leaders 'Locked Up' for Muscular Dystrophy Fundraiser
- 5-K Run for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- Filling the Boot
- "Certified Substitutes" Can't Replace Full-time Teachers
- Gainesville Hero "I was trying to help"
- Zimmerman Trial Day 8: State Tries to Prove Zimmerman was a "Wanna-be Cop"
- "Boots and Bling" Alachua Cattle Baron's Ball 2013