Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
Same Sex Marriages Gain Equal Standing in the Eyes of Federal Government
Published February 11th, 2014
GAINESVILLE- Advocates of same sex marriage in North Central Florida are celebrating what they call a step in the right direction along the path to equality .
US Attorney general Eric Holder announced over the weekend that the federal government will recognize same sex marriages in all 50 states--including the 34 states that don't allow it.
Among that group is Florida, where a lawsuit was filed last month to legalize same sex marriage.
LGBTQ advocates here say there is still a long way to go before hetero and homosexual marriages are seen in the same light.
Holder's announcement means that in all federal legal matters same sex marriages and traditional marriages will be treated equally.
UF Law Professor, Joe Jackson says there are many benefits that come with the news, "survivors benefits, social security benefits is a federal program, federal income taxes, obviously are governed by federal law."
Pride Community Center of North Central Florida Director, Terry Fleming says the announcement, "... impacts me personally it impacts a number of people in our community that have gotten married or that want to get married."
UF Law student, Simone Chriss is one of those people.
"individual rights are a federal issue, they are a constitutional issue, and i think it's fantastic that this has happened and that the federal government is taking control over, you know over our individual rights and not letting states dictate you know who we're allowed to love," says Chriss.
The new benefits are limited to issues where the US government has jurisdiction.
In all other cases, the law of the land created by individual states remains in effect.
- Supreme Court Weighs in on Same Sex Marriage
- Maryland Same-Sex Marriage May End Up on Ballot
- Court Declares Same-Sex Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Florida Same Sex Couples File Suit Against Marriage Ban
- Same-SexMarriage Ban Opposition
- A Florida University President suing the Federal Government
- Government Shutdown Affecting Students Who Need Federal Websites
- Federal Unemployment Benefits End for Thousands of Floridians
- Trayvon's Mom: Clarify Stand Your Ground Laws
- Smuggled Dinosaur Skeleton Returned to Mongolian Government