Two Miami-Dade County Men Steal Bait Trailer
Two men are in jail after investigators say they stole a trailer from a truck stop.
The Florida Commercial Vehicle Cargo Theft Task Force places bait trailers at truck stops across the sunshine state.
During the holiday weekend they placed several trailers in different truck stops, one of them in Marion County.
Detectives believe these two men were on the hunt for a trailer filled with goods, but they had no idea it was all a set up.
"The operation we conducted over Thanksgiving holiday in Marion County location was the 326 truck stop. That is where the trailer it self was stolen from," said Erik Dice.
Detective Dice said 39-year- old Ruben Fuentes and 26- year-old Alexander Vidal went to the truck stop off exit 358.
They allegedly stole the bait trailer, got on I-75 and then headed south.
Soon after they got off on exit 341 and pulled into the Pilot truck stop.
Deputies were trying to get them to pullover, but they accelerated and kept driving.
They finally stopped by the gas pumps, jumped out of the truck and ran into the store.
"The deputy was able to apprehend one of the subjects. the other subject continued to cross 44 through several adjoining businesses and was ultimately apprehended with our K-9 unit," said Dice.
Dice said the tractor was stolen from Recoloa USA Inc. based in Ocala.
Fuentes and Vidal are from Miami- Dade County.
Dice said the common method is for someone to travel elsewhere to steal a trailer.
"As it stands now almost on december 2012 we have about $22 million worth of loads that were stolen just in the state of Florida," said Dice.
Dice explained that trailers can have anything from $10,000 to $50-million worth of product inside.
"If it hadn't been out trailer this weekend it would've been an actual trailer that was going to a business. Thhe will steal anything that is left sitting. Basically the difficult becomes that we all end up paying an additional cost of the store to make up the difference for the material that is missing," said Dice.
Fuentes and Vidal are both charged with cargo theft, grand theft and fleeing from police.
Fuentes is in jail on $86,000 bond and as for Vidal his bond is set at $61,000.
- Two Men Arrested by Miami-Dade Police for Running Illegal Slaughterhouse
- Two People Killed In Miami-Dade Helicopter Crash
- Miami-Dade County judge strikes down same-sex marriage ban
- Miami-Dade to Cut Healthcare Planning Dept. Oct. 1
- Two Killed in Miami Dade Garage Collaspe
- Ocala Accident with A Reported Stolen Vehicle
- Gainesville Man Accused of Stealing Vehicle, Possessing Counterfeit Money
- Woman Claims Baby is Stolen While Partner Steals from Walmart
- Parker, Spurs Steal Game 1 at Miami In NBA Finals
- Two-Vehicle Crash on Hwy 441; Authorities Still Searching for Driver