The State Driver's License Office on Northwest 34th Street closed its doors on Friday, March 8th. Residents can go to two locations -- The Alachua County Tax Collector's Office across from the old DMV and the office in Downtown Gainesville -- to renew their driver's license. A state law was passed in 2011 requiring Tax Collector's Offices to provide driver's license services by July 2015. Both offices in Gainesville start providing the new service on Monday, March 11th.
"Often, customers would wait an excess of two hours to get through the long lines at the State Office. We are extremely hopeful with the Tax Collector's Office providing services, we can cut those wait times drastically," John Power (Chief Deputy Tax Collector) said.
The Tax Collector's Office in Butler Plaza starts offering services in May.
- Alachua County Tax Collector's Office Opens Third Location
- Sex Offenders and Predators Get Special Driver's License Status
- New Changes to Getting and Updating Driver's Licenses
- 35th Collector's Day
- Drivers Flood DMV Offices and Website
- Driver's Beware Roam Towing Is Still In Effect
- Alachua County Tax Collector, Von Fraser Dead At 76
- New Drivers License Regulations Cause Frustration
- DMV Expansion In Alachua County
- State Suspends License of Local Pediatric Dentist