Published March 21st, 2013
A number of residents from across North Central Florida called in to report a pair of strange booms a little after nine o'clock tonight.
Some described it as exactly like a "sonic boom." but there does not seem to be a definitive explanation as to the source of the noise.
Viewers from as far North as Steinhatchee and as far South as Tampa-- and all across the western half of North Central Florida; say they heard the booms.
The Alachua County Sheriff's Office tells us the source of the sounds were "military maneuvers," but couldn't specify what they were.
National guardsmen at Camp Blanding suggested to us there may be bombing exercises at the Pinecastle range in the Ocala National Forest.
- Early Morning Attack Ends in Murder for Unidentified Gainesville Man
- Florida Tourism Boom In 1st Quarter Of 2013
- Florida Tourism Boom in 1Q of 2013
- The Man Behind the Boom: Three Generations of Fireworks
- Boom In Blueberries Could Be Impacted By Rain
- Loud "Booms" Reported Over NCF
- Sonic Boom May Be A Fireball
- Firework Sales Boom Leading Up To Independence Day
- Local Halloween Sales are Booming
- Agro-Terrorism: From the Farm to the Fork