Carroll Set For Execution
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - A 56-year-old man convicted of raping and strangling a 10-year-old girl is set to be executed this week.
Elmer Carroll is scheduled to be put to death Wednesday at Florida State Prison in Starke. He was convicted of the 1990 murder of Christine McGowan, who lived with her family next door to a suburban Orlando halfway house where Carroll was living.
Carroll was convicted of breaking into the family's home, raping and killing the girl, and then stealing her stepfather's pickup truck. The missing truck was found on the side of a busy state road, and Carroll was found walking nearby.
Police found blood and other physical evidence on Carroll that linked him to the murder.
His attorneys have tried to block the execution, saying Carroll is too mentally ill.
- Elmer Carroll Executed by State
- Child Killer Set to Be Executed
- Convicted Killer Set for Execution at Starke
- Paul Howell Set to be Executed
- Murderer Set to be Executed
- Florida Man Set To Be Executed
- Chavez's execution date set
- Florida Set To Resume Executions
- Ex Carroll Aide Alleges Misconduct
- BREAKING: Lt. Gov. Carroll Resigns Amid Investigation