Man Charged in Ocklawaha Murder
Published September 10th, 2013
A breakthrough in the investigation as to who killed Ocklawaha resident Stanley Yassen.
Detectives have charged a 33- year- old man with first degree murder.
Yassen was found dead in his home nearly two weeks ago.
Detectives said the motive was robbery.
On August 28th, 74- year -old Yassen was found stabbed to death inside his home.
Now two weeks later detectives have charged Issac Duwayne Sheffield for the murder of Yassen.
"In the initial we just wanted to talk to Mr.Sheffield and find out his where about and see where it would lead us and we couldn't find him. he was hiding from us,"
said Det. Tony Watson.
Marion County Sheriffs Office detective Tony Watson said they wanted to question Sheffield after learning that he may have burglarized Yassen's home a few months before.
Investigators couldn't find Sheffield so they visited Sheffield's sisters home.
There they discovered evidence that would be significant to the case.
"Actually located two vehicles there that Mr. Sheffield had been there bleaching out," said Det. Watson.
Detectives knew there was blood inside the cars, but weren't sure whose blood.
"It's curious. A normal person is not just going to clean a vehicle out with bleach unless they have something to hide. We found the victims blood inside the vehicle that he had driven the day of the homicide," said Watson.
The investigation also revealed Sheffield was inside Yassen's home on the day Yassen was brutally murdered.
As investigators continued to search for Sheffield, another agency received information from Sheffield's family members who told deputies Sheffield was heading to Georgia.
"They had learned that Marion County Sheriff's Office was investigating a homicide and it was near the area where Mr. Sheffield's family was raised at. So that was kind of a red flag for them. So the contacted the Toombs County Sheriff's Office," said Det. Watson.
Toombs County deputies caught and arrested Sheffield near Vidalia in southeast Georgia, where he awaits extradition.
- MCSO: Suspect charged with Ocklawaha murder
- Police Arrest Ocklawaha Man, 81, For Selling Marijuana
- Man Shoots at Deputies, Charged with Attempted Murder
- 2 Men Arrested and Charged With Murder in Ocala
- Arrest Warrant for Ocala Woman Charged with Second Degree Murder
- Lake City Man Faces Attempted Murder Charges, After Shooting Friend
- Man, 24, Charged With Murder In Somer Thompson Case
- Bradford County Man Charged With Murder Of His Sister
- Man Faces Attempted Murder Charge Over MySpace Dispute
- Man Charged With Attempted Murder After Shooting Girlfriend's Car