Publix Truth Tour Brought Protestors to Publix
Published September 22nd, 2013
If you drove by Publix on 34th street this afternoon, you may have seen some people on the outside, protesting the food on the inside.
Picketers, protesting the corporation all in the name of fairness.
Their mission is to make Publix more socially responsible.
The Coalition of Immokalee Workers and the Interfaith Alliance for Immigrant Justice came together to ask Publix to join the Fair Food Program.
Florida farmworkers joined in the kick off rally and march of the Publix Truth Tour on this rainy afternoon in Gainesville.
Protestors say for four years, Publix has not joined the Fair Food Program that ensures a humane work environment and increased pay for Florida tomato workers.
One of the workers who experienced inhumane work conditions in a field in Florida joined in the march today in hopes of changing Publix's mind.
"We'd like to see results from Publix in response to the Publix Truth Tour. Because for many years now, Publix has been responding by saying, this is a labor dispute," said Oscar Otzoy of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers.
Corporate buyers of McDonalds, Yum Brands, Burger King, Subway and Chipolte are among the list of those who participate in the Fair Food Program.
Publix is one of the largest purchasers of tomatoes in Florida so workers feel Publix should make this pledge.
In a press release, Publix responded to this issue by saying that they do business with suppliers that provide a safe and healthful workplace.
However, they say they will not pay "a penny more per pound" directly to another companies' employees.
That responsibility, Publix says, lies on that employer.
Lauren Lettelier, TV20 News.
- Mobile Slavery Museum Hopes To Change Labor Conditions For Farmworkers
- Protest At Wendy's In Favor Of Farmers
- Farm Workers Protest For Rights
- Temporary Suspension On Homeless Program
- Homeless Assistance Program On Hold
- Publix to Extend Health Benefits to Spouses of Employees in Legal Gay Marriages
- Postal Workers Collect Donated Food For Area Charities
- Summer food service program
- Food4Kids Backpack Program Ramps Up
- Fast Food for the Homeless: EBT Pilot Program