Convicted Killer Darius Kimbrough Executed
RAIFORD - The second execution at Florida State Prison in Raiford to use a new drug concoction went off without difficulty on Tuesday night.
Darius Kimbrough died by lethal injection at 6:18 p.m.
He had been convicted of killing a woman in Orlando in 1991.
The victim's relatives described what it was like to see their loved one's killer die after so many years.
"We've waited for a very long time for this moment," said Annette Collins.
It's been 22 years since Annette Collins sister, Denise Collins, was murdered in her Orlando apartment.
"I am just happy that Denise received justice in the legal manner that she was able to," said Annette.
In October of 1991, this man Darius Kimbrough forced his way into his neighbors apartment.
He broke into Denise's apartment through a sliding glass door in the middle of the night.
He then raped, beat and left her barely conscious. She later died at a hospital.
"He went out a lot cleaner and neater than she did," said Diane Stewart who is Denise's mother.
Denise was an aspiring artist who died at 28 years old. Her killer kimbrough was 19 at the time of the murder. He was executed by lethal injection at 40 years old.
"It was very peaceful. Very forgiving. Very quiet. Not at all what he deserved," said Stewart.
Stewart, Denise's sister, her cousin and a friend all witnessed the execution that took place on Tuesday.
"I can't describe what I experienced tonight. Just a numbing experience," said Annette.
The family said Kimbrough never apologized for killing Denise. Officials said he died without giving a last statement.
A witness who was watching the execution told us he took a deep breath, closed his eyes and didn't move after that.
"Wherever she is, I hope she is just smiling down on and is happy as well," said Annette.
Having waited all this time for justice to be served.
During the execution, there were about 50 death penalty protestors outiside the Florida State Prison.
Denise's sister Annette said growing up she did not believe in the death penalty, but since her sister's brutal murder, her feelings towards th death penalty have changed.
- Family of Victim Plans to Attend Darius Kimbrough's Execution
- William Happ Executed for 1986 Murder, Issues Apology to Victim's Family
- Bikers Raise Money for Theater Victim's Family
- Convicted Killer Set for Execution at Starke
- Stay of Execution Issued for Convicted Killer
- Marion County May Benefit from National Rodeo's Possible New Venue
- A Murder Victim's Family Shares Fond Memories
- Accused Child Molester Attacked by Victim's Family
- "A Pillar in the Community." A Fire Victim's Family Speaks Out
- 96 Year Old Victim's Family Pleas for Justice...