Fla. Man Accused of Abuse After Young Son Found Dead
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - An Orlando man is accused of child abuse and could face additional charges after his 5-year-old son was found dead in his apartment.
Authorities say Darell Avant Jr. had multiple bruises and contusions on his body when he was found unresponsive on Wednesday evening. His 26-year-old father Darell Avant remained in the Orange County Jail Friday.
According to deputies, Avant picked up the boy early from school on Wednesday because he was acting up. When they got home, Avant says he hit the child on the buttocks before making him to pushups and squats for 20 minutes.
An arrest report says the boy collapsed after taking a shower. The father called 911 and the boy was pronounced dead a short time later.
No attorney was listed on Avant's jail records.
- Son Faces Neglect Charges After Mother Found Dead
- Fla. Man Accused Of Forcing Wis. Teen To Be Prostitute
- Trial set in abuse death of autistic Fla. girl
- Fla. Man Charged After Toddler Son Shot Dead
- Fla. Toddler Injured After Falling from ATV
- Gay Fla. Teen Back in Jail After Plea Deal Pulled
- Fla. Woman Meets Son She Gave Up for Adoption
- Judge Sends North Fla. Man to Prison for Life
- Universal Ejects Fla. Man Because of T-shirt
- Man accused of neglect after leaving boy alone