Hatchet-Wielding Suspect Shot By Police
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Gainesville Police officers are responding to Butler Plaza after shots were fired shortly after 10 a.m. this morning.
According to GPD public information officer Ben Tobias, a suspect ran towards them with a hatchet.
The officer opened fire and 28-year-old Michael Cravey later died from his injuries.
The officer was not injured.
This follows a stabbing at the University of Florida on campus near Leigh Hall early Monday morning.
University Police say a couple was leaving their car when they were approached by a man with a knife. The man stabbed one victim and ran away while his wife called 9-1-1.
A UFAlert was issued to students just after 7 a.m. describing a white male seen fleeing the area in a black jeep, last seen on westbound Newberry Road.
A chase ensued down Newberry Road, but the suspect was not apprehended.
A few hours later, a police officer in Butler Plaza saw the stabbing suspect.
According to Tobias, the officer identified himself and told the man to drop the hatchet he had in his hand. The man came towards the officer with the hatchet and the officer shot the man several times.
A traffic crash near the Dunkin Donuts at 34th Street is believed to be connected to the stabbing suspect (below).
- Attempted Murder Suspect Shot by Police
- Teen burglary suspect shot by police
- Knife-Wielding Man Tased By Gainesville Police During Struggle at Area McDonalds
- Police Officer Shot During Traffic Stop
- Former NFL Player Shot by Police
- Police Search for Suspect in Spring Manor Apartments Murder
- Deputy Fatally Shot-Suspect
- Machete-Wielding Man Killed by Panhandle Officer
- Bradenton Man Shot By Police After Holding Girlfriend Hostage
- Man Shot by Police at Veterans Hospital Identified