Dangerous Corner In Williston
Pesso's Antique Mall sits at the corner of State Road 500 and US Highway 41 in downtown Williston. The city's police chief says the building has been hit by seven 18-wheelers since 2001, but the store's owner can only recall four instances.
Both blame the crashes on the Department of Transportation... they say after the D.O.T removed the on-the-street parking beside the store, trucks began to cut the corner as they make the turn. They claim D.O.T. representatives have told them that Highway 41 will be widened soon. The store's owner, Michael Pesso says the D.O.T. has been working on it for the last five years.
"We faxed to the D.O.T. yesterday, photocopies of the latest damage in hopes of moving the project higher on their priority list," Williston's Police Chief, Dan Davis said.
Pesso says it's gotten so bad that he now only uses that building as storage for his other antique store.
TV 20 tried to contact the Department of Transportation's spokesperson for a comment, but they were unavailable.
By David Hamilton, WCJB TV 20 News
- Voter Registration Deadline For Primary Election Right Around The Corner
- More Tax Incentives for University Corners Raises More Questions
- Four Corners Cops Without Borders
- Controversy Over a Prominent Downtown Corner
- Land Developer Awaits City Decision on University Corners Project
- "Thigh Gap:" A Dangerous New Trend
- Truck Bed Dangers
- Dangerous Intersection
- Officials: Flooding presents dangers
- BRUSH FIRE DANGER