Lt. Governor Visits Gainesville
On Monday Alachua County Senator Steve Oelrich and President Machen went to Tallahassee to propose the bill for what Machen calls an Academic Enhancement Program. He says the tuition increase would result in more resources for student education, but Governor Charlie Crist and his Lieutenant Governor, Jeff Kottkamp, came out against the plan. They say they want to keep education in Florida affordable.
"The Governor's proposed budget has no increase in tuition, we actually have one of the lowest tuitions in the country here in Florida," says Lt. Governor Jeff Kottkamp. "We want to continue to focus on making sure that higher education is affordable.
A bill in both the State House and Senate would allow universities to charge students the new academic enhancement fee. They are being studied by committees before the session starts in March.
By Nathalie Pozo, WCJB TV 20 News
- FL Lt. Governor Carlos Lopez-Cantera Visits Ocala Business Owners
- Governor Crist Visits Gainesville
- Five Former Florida Governors Visit University of Florida
- Governor Scott Visits UF in Support President Machen's Goal of Becoming Top 10 University
- Governor-elect Rick Scott Visits Lake City
- Kendrick Meek Visits Gainesville
- John Sayles Visits Gainesville
- Ann Romney visits David's BBQ in Gainesville
- Science Writers Conference Visits Gainesville
- First Alachua County Superintendent Finalist Visits Gainesville