The Bearded Brothers
The Bearded Brothers are three friends that have long beards and an even longer passion for recycling. The group's founders Mike and Jake have been recycling together for thirty years and recently added a third member to the green squad. The trio goes to buildings that are set to be demolished, salvaging anything that can be reused.
And some business owners say that saves them money.
The bearded brothers are all about things that can be reused. Mike Myers, "We can take materials from an already existing building remove them and transfer them to a newer building. And there's no impact on the ecology or the plants or forrest." Sometimes these friends work twenty-four hours straight, stripping buildings that will be demolished. They get things such as cabinets, water heaters, and doors. Selling them.
Not only does this type of recycling make the environment greener, it can also adds some green to a building owners wallet. One of the owners of the building, The Bearded brothers are working on says, it saved him at least 15-thousand dollars. Michael Conroy says, "Having the bearded brothers come in ahead of time and strip these things out significantly lowers the cost of the demolition."
The bearded brothers hire temporary help, depending on the size of the project. They were responsible for helping strip university corners, and it was that project that made the brothers co-winners of last year's help keep Alachua County Beautiful Recycling Bronze Award.
To learn more about The Bearded Bothers you can visit their website. Www.beardedbrothers.com. Right now it's a part time job while the three hold down construction work but they hope it catches on so the bearded brothers can become full time.
By Gavin Johnson, WCJB TV 20 News
- Brother Of UF Grad Student Shot By Police Speaks Out
- Egyptian Brother Gives UF Student Hope
- Two Brothers Lost In One Big Family
- Slain Teen's Brother Not Giving Up
- Tragedy in Bronson: 2yr old Accidentally Shot by 11 yr old Brother
- Murder Victim's Brother Turns Pain into Passion by Helping Others
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Needs Donations for Kids
- Brother Proud of Fallen Soldier
- My Brother's Keeper Program at Santa Fe Gives High Schoolers a Taste of College Life
- Cole Brother Circus in Gainesville