Two Seats in Alachua City Race Reduced to One
It seemed that the controversy over the elections in the city of Alachua were cooling off and the focus would be on the campaigns before the April 10th election, but the latest turn in events suggests otherwise.
It appears that the two seats for city commission may now be reduced to one. Originally, there were three candidates disqualified, but Wednesday, only two of them resubmitted the necessary paperwork to run.
Now, candidate Charles Grapski says the city won't let him run for the city seat challenging incumbent Mayor Jean Calderwood. In an online article published today in the "High Springs Herald," Alachua city manager, Clovis Watson says that Grapski's attempt to run against Calderwood has been denied.
But Grapski says that his application was approved to run for the seat in group one. In video provided by Grapski, he says it is clear that his decision to run against a different candidate was disputed by the city manager. In his estimation Calderwood should not win by default, there should be a race for the seat.Â
"When they disqualified me and allowed me to re-qualify... I declared I was going to run in group 1 against the Mayor Jean Calderwood the city attempted to tell me I was only permitted to change certain things from filings made originally ...I said I was filing for commission seat 1 and that's the forms they gave me back and that's what they qualified me as."
The lawsuit from the candidates still remain over their initial disqualification. Attempts to reach the city manager's office for comment before air were unsuccessful.
By Stacey Samuel, WCJB TV 20 News
- City Of Alachua Commission Race
- Wide Open Race For District 10 Seat
- Alachua County Schools Free and Reduced Lunches
- Incumbent City Commissioner Keeps Seat
- Debate Raise Tensions Over City Commission Seat
- One Tight Race In Gilchrist County
- City Commission Race Results are In
- Runoff Needed in Gainesville City Commission Race
- Alachua County Commission District 1 Race
- Darnell Wins Alachua County Sheriff Race