Frantic search for victims of a massive tornado just outside of Oklahoma City. Elementary school took direct hit.
Officer Dies From Injuries
Lt. Corey Dahlem Dies From Injuries
By David Hamilton/WCJB TV 20 News
After fighting for his life for nearly two days, 45-year-old Gainesville Police Lieutenant Corey Dahlem died Wednesday afternoon from injuries he suffered Monday night when he has struck by a truck.
Authorities say the driver of that vehicle, 21-year-old Austin Wright of Atlantic Beach, Fla. had a blood-alcohol level nearly three times higher than the legal limit. They claim Wright ignored a "closed road" barrier in downtown Gainesville after the Gators basketball national championship celebration, and hit the officer who was standing in the closed lane.
On Wednesday morning, Wright appeared before Alachua County Judge Victor Hulslander via videoconference from the jail. The judge set his bond at $500,000, and set several stipulations Wright must live by until his trial date if he bonds out of jail.
The 21-year-old was originally charged with DUI with Severe Bodily Injury and Hit and Run, Failure to Stop and Remain at the Scene of a Crash. A spokesperson from the Alachua County State Attorney's Office says the DUI charge will likely be changed to vehicular manslaughter now that Lt. Dahlem has passed away.
- GPD Officer Dies From Injuries; Driver Has First Court Appearance
- Child Injured in Children's Race Dies from Injuries
- 18-year-old Dies After Shooting at Ex-Girlfriend and Officers
- Soldier from Melrose dies in Combat in Afghanistan
- Patient Dies from Bacteria found in Shands Cancer Center
- Second Person In Marion County Dies From H1N1 Virus
- The 96 year old woman from Newberry who was brutally attacked in July, died today...
- Man Dies after Jump from Window
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office Saves Woman from Pasco County