School Name Stays Despite Derogatory Acronym
The construction site in Marion Oaks has been called Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks since March, is still called Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks and will be Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks when it is finished in January of 2008.
"I am extremely pleased with the outcome, we felt very strongly about the name," said naming committee member John Spence.
In a 2-3 vote, the schoolboard voted against changing the name Tuesday night. Board Member Sue Mosley had suggested the change after realizing the acronym for the school was HAMO.
"I'm not necessarily crazy about the acronym HAMO. It just doesn't sound very attractive and there has been some slang things attached to it," said Mosley.
Schoolboard Member Steve Herring agreed the name should be changed but the other three board members did not.
Residents from Marion Oaks had collected signatures from over five-hundred people saying they were in favor of keeping the name.
Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks is just down the street from Sunrise Elementary School.
By Greg Bilazarian, WCJB TV20 News.
- Lyons named K-12 public school chancellor
- School Nurse of the Year Named
- UF Named Number One Party School
- New State Policy on High School Majors Mean New Name for Loften
- Local Zombie Movie Produced, Despite Tragedy
- Despite Reinstatement of Death Benefits, NCF Military Families Say Damage Has Been Done
- Alachua County Students Safe Despite Shooting in D.C.
- Columbia County Sheriff Doing Just Fine, Despite Rumors
- Homeless Count Completed Despite Cold Temperatures
- GREC Says Biomass Noise Panels Are Working, Despite Not Releasing Operations Log