School Name Stays Despite Derogatory Acronym
The construction site in Marion Oaks has been called Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks since March, is still called Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks and will be Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks when it is finished in January of 2008.
"I am extremely pleased with the outcome, we felt very strongly about the name," said naming committee member John Spence.
In a 2-3 vote, the schoolboard voted against changing the name Tuesday night. Board Member Sue Mosley had suggested the change after realizing the acronym for the school was HAMO.
"I'm not necessarily crazy about the acronym HAMO. It just doesn't sound very attractive and there has been some slang things attached to it," said Mosley.
Schoolboard Member Steve Herring agreed the name should be changed but the other three board members did not.
Residents from Marion Oaks had collected signatures from over five-hundred people saying they were in favor of keeping the name.
Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks is just down the street from Sunrise Elementary School.
By Greg Bilazarian, WCJB TV20 News.
- School Nurse of the Year Named
- UF Named Number One Party School
- New State Policy on High School Majors Mean New Name for Loften
- Despite Reinstatement of Death Benefits, NCF Military Families Say Damage Has Been Done
- Despite Being Wounded, They Bike On
- Plans to Narrow Lanes Advanced Despite Opposition
- Life at a Standstill Despite Jury's Indictment of Accused Teen Killers
- Paraplegic Racer Turned Away Despite Qualifying
- Disaster Asistance Center Closing Despite Oncoming Storm
- UF Moves Forward With Reitz Union Renovation Despite Funding Gap