Blind Man Beaten
27-year-old Kris Scheppe is recovering from what some are calling an outrageous attack.
Scheppe is legally blind and was mugged while on his way to the National Federation of the Blind Florida State Convention.
"The guy grabbed me by my shirt here and said, 'Give me what you got,' and then he punched me in the head," Scheppe said. "I'd say he hit me 20...30 times."
Scheppe said he had just gotten off the train in downtown Tampa when the attack happened. The attacker not only punched and kicked him repeatedly, but stole all of his belongings.
Scheppe's cell phone, credit cards and cash including money he was carrying as treasurer of the student group for a pizza party, was stolen. The attacker even took his walking cane.
However, a good samaritan, a security guard at a nearby courthouse, was able to get Scheppe the help he needed.
And while Scheppe may have traveled to the convention by himself, he is no longer alone.
"The National Federation of the Blind is a family," said Gloria Mills Hicks of the Tampa Bay Chapter, "and when something like this happens, we're going to look out for each other.
The convention is the biggest gathering of the blind in the state and Scheppe's new family is replacing almost everything stolen from him. He has a new walking cane, the money for the pizza party and an incredibly positive outlook on life.
"I can't just dwell on the bad part of it, you just have to look on the good side and now I'm with friends here," Scheppe said. "It's not going to stop me."
- Ocala Man Beaten by His Son with Sledgehammer and Metal Pipe Dies
- Ocala Man Beaten and Robbed of Everything but His Underwear
- Man Beaten on 8th Avenue has Been Taken Off Life Support
- Man Attempts to Steal Purse, Good Samaritan Beaten in Act
- Beaten Elderly Man's Family Speaks About His Recovery
- Deputies: Uber driver refused ride to blind man, service dog
- Preventing Blindness Caused By Diabetes
- Florida Center for the Blind Celebrates National White Cane Day
- Blind Wine Chick
- Lending the Blind a Helping Hand