Bugaboo Fire Now 90% Contained
It's taken 11 helicopters, 62 fire trucks, 26 bulldozers, and more than 5-hundred emergency workers but the bugaboo fire finally seems to be simmering down. After burning more than 280-thousands acres here in North Central Florida and Southern Georgia. Firefighters now the fire at 90% containment.
Although the fire is controlled some fire officials thought it was important to inform the public about the fire. So they had an information center at the Wal-Mart in Lake City.
Bill Beebe from the US Forestry Service, says, "Being able to meet in person, we're able to show them a map and let them ask questions they may not think of on the phone."
He says about 3-thousand people are more informed now after setting up shop in Wal-Mart.
Even though firefighters say they're getting a handle on the blaze, smoke could linger in our area for weeks, maybe a month. Fire officials say they could have the fire completely contained by sometime next week.
By Gavin Johnson, WCJB TV20 News
- Roads Re-Open in Bradford After Fire is Contained
- The Bugaboo Fire May Get Worse Monday
- Battling Bugaboo
- Woman Missing for Years Now in Panhandle Jail
- State Insurance Fund Stronger Now for Storm Season
- Copper Theft Down -- For Now
- New Horizon Academy Open for Now
- Allegations of racism at Gainesville gas station. Now family demands justice
- Blackjack Now Legally Available To Casino Gamers
- Local Wildfires Keep Burn Ban in Effect: Clay County Blaze Now Burning