Forest Meadows Memorial Day Celebration
A 21-gun salute complemented the ceremony at the Military Garden of Honor at Forest Meadows Cemetary.
People enjoyed a performance from the Gainesville High School drill team and songs performed by the Gainesville Harmony Show Chorus.
"I think it gives people a chance to honor the veterans," said Amanda Garrigues, event coordinator. " So many people forget that today isn't just a holiday for people to go to the beach, to go play golf. It's a holiday to remember what makes this country free."
The special guest speaker was retired Navy Captain William Pokorny, who said a strong military is the best guarantee of freedom.
- War Was Forgotten, But Never the Soldier
- Gainesville honors fallen soldiers
- Home Prices on the Rise
- Celebrating Memorial Day In Palatka
- 'Dads Take Your Kids to School Day' is a huge success at a local school
- Memorial Day Weekend Picnic
- Memorial Day events happening around North Central Florida
- Memorial Day Tribute in Dixie County
- Tips For Traveling On The Road... Memorial Day Weekend
- More Travelers By Car Than by Plane, This Memorial Day Weekend