Health Advisories due to the Smoke
Health advisories have been issued across North Central Florida due to the smoke. People with respiratory problems should refrain from outdoor activities. The elderly and people who smoke should also restrict outdoor activities.
It is critical that children, even if they do not have preexisting conditions, stay indoors too because their lungs are still developing.
"Those individuals that already have a compromised pulmonary or cardiovascular system," says Tom Belcuore, Director for The Alachua County Health Department. "They are going to be at risk for irritation to the lungs and decreased breathing capabilities."
Health experts say the effects of the smoke include, irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract to more serious disorders like asthma, bronchitis, reduced lung function, and even death.
By Nathalie Pozo, WCJB TV20 News
- Ochwilla Elementary Closed Due To Smoke
- CHOICES Advisory Board Holds Special Meeting
- CDC Says Anti-Smoking Campaign Exceeds Expectations
- Multiple Crashes Due To Weather Cause Traffic In Gainesville
- Boil Water Advisory For Starke
- Veterans Advisory Board Members Question County's Priorities
- Smoking Marijuana Worse than Smoking Cigarettes
- NASA Aborts Spacewalk Due to Water Leak in Helmet
- Alachua County's 'Foster Grandparents' On Hold Due to Government Shutdown
- Szechuan Panda Closed Due To Health Code Violations