Homeless Shelter Location
Gainesville isn't the only place trying to figure out how to serve it's homeless population.
A plan has been in the works for several weeks to build a shelter that will accomodate the growing number of homeless people in Marion County. The question is: Where will it be built?
There are currently two potential sites for the Project Hope Homeless Shelter. One site is behind the Pine shopping plaza near downtown Ocala. Steve Hoesterey with Brother's Keeper says this location is the better of the two.
"We think it's ideal because it's right downtown where all the other homeless services are,the courthouse,the hospitals,most of the services...the soup kitchen.."
Some are concerned that having the homeless shelter so close to downtown will encourage people to congregate there. The City Council is expected to decide the location in a work shop Tuesday at noon.
By Sarah Pusateri WCJB TV20 News
- Gainesville City Commissioners Approve Location for Homeless Resource Center
- Local Food Banks And Homeless Shelters Struggling
- Still Room in Homeless Shelters during Freezing Nights
- Late-Season Cold Snap Forces Homeless Shelter to Ask City for More Funds
- Government Says UF Cannot Hide Locations of Animal Research Labs
- Alachua County Tax Collector's Office Opens Third Location
- New Prison Location
- One Stop Location
- Location of Condos is Key
- Wanted Alabama Suspect Located in Levy County, Attacks Police Officer