Kid in Car Law
But some parents say it's not appropriate to try and legislate what they call "common sense." Others say it'll make criminals out of people who make simple mistakes. But lawmakers say the bill is aimed at those who are truly careless.
Local law enforcement officers say the bill will help them. Sheriff Sadie Darnell, "Law enforcement is called upon way too many times actually to become the parent in many situations."
A 2005 study revealed temperatures outside a car could be in the 70s. But temperatures inside the car could climb to almost 115 degrees within an hour.
The bill makes leaving a child unattended or unsupervised in a car a second-degree misdemeanor and in some cases a third-degree felony.
By Gavin Johnson, WCJB TV20 News
- A Majority Of Parents Install Car Seats Incorrectly, Putting Kids At Risk
- Marion County Woman Arrested for DUI with Three Kids in Car
- Kids Helping Kids
- Is Your Car Easy Prey For Crime? GPD Car Report Cards Can Tell You
- Florida Counties to Sue Over New State Medicaid Law
- New Laws for Drivers
- Florida's Law 'Stand Your Ground' is Here to Stay
- Florida Move Over Law Survey
- Zimmerman Trial: Self-Defense & Stand Your Ground Law
- New Laws Too Late For North Central Florida Charity