Nike Sparq Training
It's been around for a few years, but now Nike's Sparq Training is set to make its first appearance in North Central Florida later this summer.
Sparq tests high school athletes for speed, power, agility, reaction and quickness. The results are posted on a website that college recruiters and coaches use to evaluate talent. The University of Florida's Sports Medicine Institute is now trying to bring the test to Gainesville in late July or early August.
"We kind of use the analogy of the SATs. We tell them it's the SATs of athleticism," said Colin Fahey, with the Nike Sparq Program. "So basically, they will take this score. They can compare themselves to other athletes around the country by sport, by age, by position and see where they stack up."
Once the date is set, high schools will be notified when the Sparq training equipment will be in town. It will be open to all high school athletes in whichever sport UF's trainers choose to test.
"We feel like a lot of coaches and recruiters are going to say, "what is your Sparq rating?'" said Joanna Sainmervil of the UF Sports Medicine Institute. "We want to get our trainers certified for Sparq and just get the word out to the community."
By David Hamilton, WCJB TV20 News
- Counterfeit Nike Raid
- Man Lying on Train Tracks Hit by Train in Marion County
- Hundreds of Soldiers Training in Ocala
- CPR Training in Florida High Schools
- Train Hits Woman in Starke
- U.S. National Grid Training
- Train Derails Near Hawthorne
- Positive Reinforcement in Dog Training
- CSX Train Derails Near Alachua
- Code Enforcement Training