No Sex Shops in Levy County?
County Commissioner Tony Parker is spearheading a special workshop to consider changing the laws regulating adult businesses. An outright ban isn't legal. Though there are no sex shops in Levy County now, Parker wants to make it more difficult for them to locate to the area in the future.
"We'll have to give them their constitutional rights, but we also want to protect the community," says Parker. "A lot of these regulations will possibly not make it worthwhile for them to come to this community."
Parker says the fight over bringing Cafe Risque to Waldo helped get him motivated to do something before it was too late.
The lawyer who helped represent Cafe Risque in the Waldo case says a court would throw out any law restricting sex shops to fewer than five to ten locations throughout the county.
The commissioner's workshop is scheduled for mid-July.
By Dan Breitwieser, WCJB TV20 News
- Levy County sex offenses
- Who are the Inmates Working Around Alachua County?
- Huge Addition To Alachua County's Public Lands, Levy Prairie
- Higher Millage Rates in Alachua County?
- Possible dogfighting in Alachua County?
- Mosquitos Invade Gilchrist County?
- Gainesville Smoke Shop Raided After Drug Makes 28 People Sick
- Levy County Animal Services Takes 15 Dogs In For Animal Cruelty-- But Are Conditions Any Better There?
- Body Found in Levy County has Been Identified
- Levy County Public Safety Expo