No Sex Shops in Levy County?
County Commissioner Tony Parker is spearheading a special workshop to consider changing the laws regulating adult businesses. An outright ban isn't legal. Though there are no sex shops in Levy County now, Parker wants to make it more difficult for them to locate to the area in the future.
"We'll have to give them their constitutional rights, but we also want to protect the community," says Parker. "A lot of these regulations will possibly not make it worthwhile for them to come to this community."
Parker says the fight over bringing Cafe Risque to Waldo helped get him motivated to do something before it was too late.
The lawyer who helped represent Cafe Risque in the Waldo case says a court would throw out any law restricting sex shops to fewer than five to ten locations throughout the county.
The commissioner's workshop is scheduled for mid-July.
By Dan Breitwieser, WCJB TV20 News
- Who are the Inmates Working Around Alachua County?
- Higher Millage Rates in Alachua County?
- Possible dogfighting in Alachua County?
- Mosquitos Invade Gilchrist County?
- 155 Bradford County Kids "Shop with a Cop"
- Sumter County Man Accused Of Having Sex With A Child
- Marion County Sex Abuse Case
- Police Investigating Missing Girl's Body Found in Levy County
- Atheist Bench Application Denied Again at Levy County Courthouse
- Rising River Levels Lead to Road Closures in Levy County