No Tax Relief Just Yet
They said it's the number one issue they wanted to tackle this legislative session, but you're going to have to wait for any changes to your property taxes.
On Wednesday lawmakers annouced they will suspend negotiations on property tax reform.
Disagreement and the logistics of putting something so complicated on paper will bring lawmakers back to the capitol in early June.
Just before lunch property tax negotiators threw in the towel.
Lawmakers say even if they had reached an agreement, putting it to paper was too daunting a task in the two days left. Instead of rushing a solution by Friday, lawmakers will work informally over the five weeks off.
But even with the delay, the House Speaker says when it comes to lowering taxes, he is more optimistic than ever.
"We're not there yet, so i don't want to get over-confident, but I'm very optimistic that we see a big, massive tax cut," said Republican House Speaker Marco Rubio of Miami.
So far being optimistic hasn't led to any concrete savings for taxpayers. But public pressure is so great, the powers that be know time is limited before voters take matters into their own hands with a petition drive.
Legislative leaders say they should be able to vote on something the day they come back, June 12th. But just in case, they've given themselves ten days.
While lawmakers are giving up on the tax issue for now, they haven't given up on the 2007 session. They have two more days of meetings and hundreds of bills waiting for a vote.
- Tax tips if you haven't filed yet
- State Sales Tax Holiday is Just Around the Corner
- Vikings Won't Commit To Long-Term Deal With Former Gator Harvin Just Yet
- The Oil Spill in the Gulf Isn't Directly Affecting North Central Florida...Yet.
- Five Arrested in Ocala in yet another Prostitution Sting
- Amendment 2 effective but not yet implemented
- Lake City Residents Waiting for Relief After Debby
- Stress Relief Holiday Plan
- GRU Customers Look for Answers and Relief at City Commission Meeting
- Red Cross Relief in Fort White