A weapon pulled at a local elementary school... and you may be surprised to hear who did it: the county's school superintendent.
Columbia County Superintendent Sam Markham admits to WCJB he got angry and used a pocket knife to destroy a picture of himself at Five Points Elementary School last Thursday. He says he was upset with the way faculty there responded to news they'd be getting a new principal next school year.
Markham says "Do I need to apologize for my actions? If I do, I certainly will. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably do the same thing knowing my character."
Markham was principal at that school for almost 25 years. He says he would never hurt anyone there.
If a student is caught with a knife on campus, they can be suspended for 10 days.
By Anne Imanuel, WCJB TV20 News
- First Alachua County Superintendent Finalist Visits Gainesville
- Superintendent Candidate Fred Heid Visits UF
- Alachua County Schools Superintendent Picked
- School Board Decides Against Adding Interim Superintendent Lyons to List of Final Candidates
- School Board Seeks Publics Help in Superintendent Search
- Alachua County Kicks Off School Superintendent Search With Public Forum
- Good-Bye Celebration for Superintendent Dan Boyd
- Alachua County School Superintendent Dan Boyd to Retire Next Month
- Superintendent of Gilchrist County Schools Speaks Out About the Kids Murdered in Bell
- Columbia County Schools Superintendent Race