Why Was Ex-Con Back On The Streets?
He used 10 different names, three different social security numbers, and two birth dates.
Even worse, during his lfietime, Tonnie Sylvester was charged with 52 crimes, and was sentenced to prison three times.
So why was he back on the streets Wednesday when he was fatally shot by a police officer?
Authorities say the crimina justice system is to blame.
The 49-year-old ex-con was killed Tuesday morning by a Gainesville police officer after authorities claim he broke into a home.
Sylvester was no stranger to authorities, who arrested him dozens of times for various different crimes.
He spent over 15 years in prison, but once he served his time, he was set free, where he continued to break the law.
A spokesperson from the State Attorney's Office says because he was a repeat offender, sylvester probably wasn't ever going to change even with rehabilitation.
"In this particular situation, probably not. probably what was needed was rearrested, more charges, more sentencing, and more prison time," said Eighth Judicial Circuit Chief Investigator Spencer Mann.
Police officers say one of the most alarming trends that Sylvester followed was how quickly he committed another crime after being released from jail or prison.
They say no one is to blame, but that the criminal justice system is flawed.
"What this shows is something we in law enforcement, we see it everyday. A lot of the programs, when people go in and out of prison and they've been reformed. They don't work. What you have is you build a better criminal," said Lt. Keith Kameg from the Gainesville Police Department.
By David Hamilton, WCJB TV20 News
- UF Law students go door-to-door to help Ex-Cons
- Ex-Con Arrested after Online Exchange with a 13-year Girl
- Convention goers enjoy 4th Annual Ocala Comic Con
- Florida Ranks Lowest in County for Buying Local- Why?
- Fla. Regulator Explains Why Rates Aren't Dropping
- Zimmerman Trial Day 6: Detectives Ask Why Zimmerman Chased Trayvon Martin
- Tiffany Sessions Part 1: Why Police Think They've Found Their Lead Suspect
- Vote 2013: Gainesville Mayor Lowe on Why He Should Be Re-elected
- Vote 2013: Ed Braddy on Why He Should Be Elected Mayor of Gainesville
- Why Florida is Such a Critical State in Every Election