Dean, Kelly Win Special Elections
Former Citrus County Sheriff and State Representative Charlie Dean is the new District 3 State Senator. Dean (Republican, Inverness) beat out Democrat Suzan Franks in a special election Tuesday Night.
Dean won 67-percent of the vote to Franks 33-percent. He won big in his home Citrus County and had over 70-percent in Marion County, the largest voting block in the district. Dean lost much of Marion County in the Republican Primary to Dennis Baxley.
"I'm very pleased with that vote," said Dean. "I'm very pleased with the support of Dennis (Baxley) and all the Republicans and all the voters in Marion County that came out. We got a lot of crossover votes to be able to get the amount of votes we got today."
Dean's campaign spent over 750-thousand dollars. Franks put up less than 70-thousand.
" We were massively outspent, and negative works. The Republican Party was sending out mailers against me before I even won the primary," said Franks.
Senate District 3 is made up of parts of thirteen counties all the way up the Gulf Coast and into the Panhandle. The seat came open when Nancy Argenziano was appointed to the state's Public Service Commission.
Argenziano's appointment also led to Dennis Baxley vacating his District 24 seat to run for her seat. Tuesday Night Kurt Kelly (Republican, Ocala) took over 90-percent of the vote and won the seat over write-in Nancy Stacy. She told WCJB in May she had no intention of winning but just wrote in to close the Republican Primary.
Kelly won that on June 5th in a tight race over Damon Baxley, Parnell Townley, and Steve Shaw.
By Greg Bilazarian, WCJB TV20 News
- Levy County Official Wins Steve Martin Prize for Banjo
- Election Day 2013: Weller Wins Another Term in High Springs, McIntosh Incumbents Re-elected
- Community Pays Homage To Legendary Leader With Building Dedication
- Local Special Olympic Athletes Win Five Medals in Equestrian Competition
- Congressman Ted Yoho Wins Republican Primary Elections
- Mayor Craig Lowe Could Still Win The Election
- Former UF Agriculture Dean Larry Connor Dies
- Dean of Medicine Removed
- Associate Dean of UF Dental College Demoted For Relationship With Student
- Loften High School Dean Behind Bars after Accused of Having Sex with Student