Expanding the Alachua County Jail
Tuesday, The Alachua County Commission approved the 168 bed expansion which also includes confinement cells.
County Manager Randall Reid says the 4.3 million dollar project will be completed in one year.
"The over population is not going to be solved by this one piece alone, it's a continued education and awareness process that I'm going though with the County Commission and I am a bit frustrated by it," says Sadie Darnell, Alachua County Sheriff. "But I am going to continue working on it."
The County Commission did not approve a temporary structure that would use portables to house inmates.
- Free lunch program expands to five schools in Alachua County
- New Body Scanner at Alachua County Jail
- Runaway Mom Turns Herself In To The Alachua County Jail
- County Health Department Receives Grant, Plans to Expand Hours
- Woman Tries to Smuggle Drugs into Jail
- Woman Smuggles Meth Into Jail
- Payne Keeps Quiet As He Enters Jail
- ASO Investigating Alleged Rape at Jail
- Concerns about jail's classification system
- Inmate returned to jail after escaping