Expanding the Alachua County Jail
Tuesday, The Alachua County Commission approved the 168 bed expansion which also includes confinement cells.
County Manager Randall Reid says the 4.3 million dollar project will be completed in one year.
"The over population is not going to be solved by this one piece alone, it's a continued education and awareness process that I'm going though with the County Commission and I am a bit frustrated by it," says Sadie Darnell, Alachua County Sheriff. "But I am going to continue working on it."
The County Commission did not approve a temporary structure that would use portables to house inmates.
- Alachua County Jail Rape Case Settled Out of Court
- Director Of Alachua County Jail Resigns
- Alachua County Jail Program Saving Money and Aiming To Change Lives
- Alachua County Jail Confirms First Swine Flu Case
- Alachua County Jail director selected for N.Y. Community College Hall of Fame
- Alachua County Man in Jail for Taking 3-year-old Boy
- Alachua County Jail Employee Resigns
- The Budget Impacts Staff and Inmates at the Alachua County Jail
- A Crime Caught On Tape at the Alachua County Jail
- The Alachua County Jail Is Going Green