Some are spending this weekend right here in Gainesville testing equipment and demonstrating how they save lives.
There are more than a thousand radio operators in north central florida. And about forty of them are camping out at santa fe community college this weekend participating in the annual event "field day."
Field day is a national event where emergency operators all over the country use emergency power generators and solar power to communicate with each other.
For the last 75-years field day has fallen at the start of hurricane season nd ham operators say they'll continue to take advantage of that.
Ham operators have played a part in some the nation's largest disasters like Hurricane Katrina, the Oklahoma City bombing, and all the storms of 2004.
They'll be out will be at Santa Fe College again tomorrow until 2pm.
By Gavin Johnson, WCJB TV20 News
- Students, Parents Take Part In Family Field Day
- Fathers Flex Their Muscles at Field Day Event
- GPD Holds Family Field Day Over the Weekend
- Hay Field Day at Santa Fe's River Ranch
- FAMU Marching 100 Band to Return to Field Sept. 1
- Man Accused of Sexually Assaulting Woman In Hawthorne Field
- A Field of Flags in Ocala
- Federal Dollars Pay for a "Green" Field Trip
- Chinese Developers Take a Field Trip to Alachua County
- First Female QB in Florida Takes Field