With July being the worst month for boating accidents in the state. Florida Fish & Wildlife officers are stepping up their control. They say alcohol, people not paying attention to their surroundings, and not having the proper safety equipment all play a part in those accidents. But urge Florida boaters not to be too alarmed, by the boating accident statistics. Officer, Justin Alan, says, "It's definitely going to be higher then it is in a none costal states."
Summer is mating season for sturgeons and officers say they also play a part in accidents on the water.
Boaters should always have one life jacket per person, a fire extinguisher, a whistle or horn, and last but not least your registration.
By Gavin Johnson, WCJB TV20 News
- FWC Boating Safety for Memorial Weekend
- National Boat Safety Week Prompts Increased Patrol on Florida Waterways
- Boating Under The Influence
- Front Yard or Boat Yard?
- National Safe Boating Week in Gainesville May 16
- Two Children Killed in Boating Accident
- Man Faces Felony Charges for Marijuana While Boating
- "Operation Dry Water" Cracks Down on Illegal Boating Activities
- New Florida Boating Regulations
- Air Boat Debate Still Making Noise in Alachua County