Death toll stands at 51 in Moore, OK. Medical examiner told to expect at least 40 more bodies...20 of them children.
It's an underground operation, but now light is being shed on dog fighting.
Pro football player Michael Vick is accused of being involved in it... some say it's also a problem here in North Central Florida.
Dog fighting opponents say dog fights happen every weekend in Alachua County.
They say they're often hidden in the woods, and hard to find and bust for that matter. However they think local law enforcement should be doing more.
"We have been told again and again from the Alachua County Sheriff's Office that dog fighting is the lowest on the priority list," said Animal Rescuer Michelle Dunlap.
But Captain Jim Troiano with the Alachua County Sheriff's Office says, "We've gone out, we've done arrests, but we are not seeing it as prevalent as they say it is."
In Florida dog fighting is a felony offense.
There have been a handful of arrests in Alachua County in the past year. Opponents say there should be more.
By Anne Imanuel, WCJB TV20 News
- Dog Sitter Fights City Hall to Continue Service
- Dog with Gainesville Ties Competes in Westminster Dog Show
- Deadline For Petitioners Fighting Transgender Ordinance
- One Family's Fight Against AvMed Continues
- U.F. Faculty Senate Fights Back Against Budget Cuts
- More People Are Fighting Back Against High Gas Prices By Taking The Bus
- One Family's Fight Against AvMed Part 2
- Gainesville Police Officers Win Another Battle In Fight Over Holiday Pay
- One Family's Fight Against AvMed
- Dixie County Family Fights AvMed Again For Daughter's Health Care