It's an underground operation, but now light is being shed on dog fighting.
Pro football player Michael Vick is accused of being involved in it... some say it's also a problem here in North Central Florida.
Dog fighting opponents say dog fights happen every weekend in Alachua County.
They say they're often hidden in the woods, and hard to find and bust for that matter. However they think local law enforcement should be doing more.
"We have been told again and again from the Alachua County Sheriff's Office that dog fighting is the lowest on the priority list," said Animal Rescuer Michelle Dunlap.
But Captain Jim Troiano with the Alachua County Sheriff's Office says, "We've gone out, we've done arrests, but we are not seeing it as prevalent as they say it is."
In Florida dog fighting is a felony offense.
There have been a handful of arrests in Alachua County in the past year. Opponents say there should be more.
By Anne Imanuel, WCJB TV20 News
- Animal Rights Activists Fight to Get Dogs Off Chains
- Dog Sitter Fights City Hall to Continue Service
- Dog with Gainesville Ties Competes in Westminster Dog Show
- No Charges Filed Against Bus Driver in Teen Fight
- Birds Euthanized After Rooster Fight Busted
- Ocala Trauma Center Fights to Stay Open
- Police Report Shows Tebow Tried to Break Up 2007 Bar Fight Involving Hernandez
- Marion County Citizens Fight to Get "Amendment 11" Passed
- Third Annual Empty Bowls Event Fighting Hunger in North Central Florida
- Video of Beyonce's Family Fighting, Stirs Conversation About Domestic Violence