State lawmakers have now made it a misdemeanor to leave a child under six years of age in a vehicle without the engine running for 15 minutes or more. Before this law went into effect it used to be a traffic infraction and some parents are happy about the new law.
"There are too many kids that have been hurt and killed and way too many accidents that have happened because of negligent parents," says Anna Bouwensits who has a four year old son. "It's about time the rules get tougher."
Violators could be sentenced up to 60 days in jail or recieve a fine of up to $500.
Now leaving a child under the age of six in a running car for any length of time will still be considered a traffic.
By Nathalie Pozo, WCJB TV20 News
- Christmas Tree Sales Down Because of Florida Heat
- Grinch Strikes Bertie Heating And Air
- Tips For Your Heating System As The Temperature Begins To Drop
- People Beating the Heat for the 4th of July
- Lower Your Fire Risk And Heating Bill
- Gainesville Housing Authority Feeling the Heat
- Beat the Heat- Exercise Safety Tips
- Heat Affects Horses
- Staying Cool & Healthy in the Heat
- Summer Is Officially Here and Bringing the Heat