For a lot of folks, July fourth and alcohol go hand-in-hand. Some therapists say both society and individuals are often in denial about the relationship between alcohol and holidays. Other holiday dangers that don't mix with alcohol are fireworks, swimming & boating, and of course driving.
"I don't have a problem with people enjoying alcohol as part of their holiday, but not making it their reason for their holiday," says Psychologist David Suchman.
Dr. Suchman says another concern for fourth of July drinking is that most people start pounding them down earlier then usual, and get drunk faster.
He says soaking in the sun also ads to a speedy buzz. If you're part of the thirty percent of people who question their drinking habits, but don't think they need help, Dr. Suchman suggests take a look at the 12-step program.
By Thalia Hayden, WCJB TV20 News
- Police Say Underage Drinking Ordinance is Working
- GPD Officers Report Drop in Underage Drinking
- Gainesville Restaurant May Be Punished for Underage Drinking Violations
- Underage Drinking Study at UF
- Man Arrested for Drinking and Driving his Motorcyle Naked
- Gainesville Wins Award for Combating Underage Drinking
- Underage Drinking Violations May Net Penalties
- Gainesville Police Hold Seminar For Bars and Drinking Establishments
- Underage Drinking Down
- Time for a Drink?