Jail Rape Investigation Holdup
Sheriff Sadie Darnell says she won't be taking part. She filed a protective order to get out of the deposition scheduled for Wednesday.
She says she shouldn't be involved because she was not Sheriff at the time of the alleged incidents.
"I'm not connected to this case at all. I have not even read it. It's not something I'm attached to," said Darnell.
But Robert Rush, the plaintiffs' attorney, says Darnell has every reason to be involved.
"She's the current elected Sheriff and this is a lawsuit against the Sheriff's Office in their official capacity," said Rush.
Rush is filing a response to Darnell's protective order asking the court to grant him the right to speak with Darnell.
The person who was sheriff at the time, now-Senator Steve Oelrich, and Former Jail Director Robert Chapman are set to give depositions as well.
The trial is set for January 7th of next year.
By Anne Imanuel, WCJB TV20 News
- Alachua County Jail Rape Case Settled Out of Court
- Rapes in Jail?
- Update On The Haile Rape Investigation
- Marion County Jail Investigation Findings
- Rape Victim Says Rapists Should Not Have Custody Rights
- Haile Jogger Attacked, Raped
- Police: DNA Links Suspect to Rape
- High School Freshman Raped During Fourth Period
- Community Comes Together To Support Rape Victim
- Authorities Searching For Suspects Who Raped An Ocala Woman