Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
One Million Dollars Towards Local Parks
Governor Charlie Crist recently signed off, to maintain and expand them. The Department of Environmental Protection is putting a million dollars toward 9 local parks in Alachua County. Each year, recreational organizations apply for this particular grant. The maximum amount they can request per project is $200,000. And the park superintendent for Alachua County is thrilled to receive the full amount they requested. Their main concern now is this year's budget cuts.
"We can't build those facilities and just do nothing with them. We need to then staff it, maintain it, produce it," says Robert Avery of Alachua County Parks.
Avery says the plan right now is to take the grant agreement to the County Commission and ask if they'll pay for the annual operating costs of the facilities. Until then, he says they'll focus on smaller projects such as road maintenance.
By Thalia Hayden, WCJB TV20 News.
- After Five Years and One Million Dollars, Fisher House Ready to Break Ground
- More than One Million Dollars Raised for Kids at UF's Dance Marathon
- $5.5 Million Towards Housing Homeless Veterans
- DeLuca Donates $1 Million Towards YMCA Renovations
- University of Florida Announced 47 Million Dollars In Budget Cuts
- City Wants Your Feedback On Spending Millions Of Dollars
- Robert Gallman Arrested For Stealing Millions Of Dollars In A Ponzi Scheme
- 57 Million Dollar Pet Hospital Opens in Gainesville
- North Florida Regional Medical Center Announces $58 Million Dollar Expansion Project
- Gainesville Housing Authority Faces Million Dollar Shortfall