The X Games
While Ocala isn't exactly known as a surfing hotspot, one high school student is gearing up, for a competition that will be making waves.
Derek Thomas was born without part of one leg but that doesn't keep him from surfing. July 19th, he will be participating in a surfing competition called the X-games.
Derek Thomas says," My mom got me a board a long time ago before i had a water proof prosthesis, I would just go out on my stomach and ride the waves and i guess it started from there."
Derek's mom Natascha Thomas says, "At first we thought, how is he going to be able with his prosthetic? However, as he's done all his life, convinced us he could do anything he wanted."
The X-games are being held in Orlando, which is not exactly a surf hot spot either. This competition is held at a giant wave pool at Disney World called Typhoon Lagoon. This is the first year there is a surfing competition and the first year Derek will be competing.
By Sarah Pusateri, WCJB TV20 News
- A Local Business Benefits from Gators and Florida Gulf Coast Pre-Game
- Following shooting, extra security for high school basketball game
- No Hunger Games: Empty Bowls, Kids Gain By Giving Back
- Trendy Entertainment's new CEO and game release
- No Hunger Games: American Lunch
- Students Showcase Video Games
- Gators Fans Come Out To Watch Annual Spring Football Game
- The Florida Football Fan Game
- Hunger Games: Students Giving Back
- Super Bowl Ads Remain a Trending Topic the Day After the Game