The X Games
While Ocala isn't exactly known as a surfing hotspot, one high school student is gearing up, for a competition that will be making waves.
Derek Thomas was born without part of one leg but that doesn't keep him from surfing. July 19th, he will be participating in a surfing competition called the X-games.
Derek Thomas says," My mom got me a board a long time ago before i had a water proof prosthesis, I would just go out on my stomach and ride the waves and i guess it started from there."
Derek's mom Natascha Thomas says, "At first we thought, how is he going to be able with his prosthetic? However, as he's done all his life, convinced us he could do anything he wanted."
The X-games are being held in Orlando, which is not exactly a surf hot spot either. This competition is held at a giant wave pool at Disney World called Typhoon Lagoon. This is the first year there is a surfing competition and the first year Derek will be competing.
By Sarah Pusateri, WCJB TV20 News
- A Local Business Benefits from Gators and Florida Gulf Coast Pre-Game
- Thousands to eat wings on game night
- UF STUDENTS GETTING READY FOR THE GAME
- Gainesville offers many places to view the big game.
- Gainesville Senior Games
- Fan Killed After UF-FSU Game
- After the Game
- Students Showcase Video Games
- Illegal Online Gambling stopped in "Operation Game Over"
- Sideline Student Safety Zones for UF/GA Game